Patricia Burke, PhD, CNE, RNC
Dr. Patricia Burke began her nursing and midwifery career in London, England. She earned her BS from Pace University and MS with a certificate as a perinatal nurse practitioner from Columbia University. In 2011 she completed her doctoral degree at Capella University, with a focus on cultural competency of associate degree nurse educators. Dr. Burke is an active member of the Transcultural Nursing Society, Northeast Chapter, currently serving as the Member-at-Large. In 2010 she was selected as one of the Health Information Technology Scholars (HITS), along with her colleague Dr. Margaret Reilly. As their HITS project, they created an informatics program that included the selection and implementation of an Academic Electronic Health Record (AEHR). In March 2016 Dr. Burke was selected as President-Elect of the New York League for Nursing and chair of the program planning committee. She has presented and published regarding the use of technology and simulation in nursing education at local, regional, national and international conferences. Dr. Burke’s research interests include the use of technology and simulation in nursing education, faculty mentoring and development.
- Burke, P. (November, 2015). “NLN Core Competency 3: Use Assessment and Evaluation Strategies.” Organization of Associate Degree Nurses (OADN) newsletter.
- Expert Workgroup Community & Leadership Nurse’s Touch Becoming a Professional Nurse, ATI’s National Standard Setting Study, Kansas City, MI, May 28th & 29th, 2015
- Burke, P. (July, 2013). “ePortfolios: Paving the way for success.” TIGER newsletter.
- Burke, P. (May, 2013). “Harnessing the power of social media to impact patient outcomes.” TIGER newsletter.
- Burke, P. & Spencer, C. (April, 2013). “Creating a professional image in the virtual world.” TIGER newsletter.
- Burke, P. (Sept., 2011). “2nd European Transcultural Nursing Association (ETNA) conference,” Transcultural Nursing Society Newsletter, 21 (2), 4.
- Spencer, C. & Burke, P. (July, 2011). The impact of culture on pain management. Med Surg Matters. 20 (4) 1, 13-16. Featured Article for Continuing Nursing Education Credits (CNE. Med Surg Matters is the official journal of the Academy of Medical Surgical Nursing.
- Reilly, M., Bayer, T., Burke, P., Colalillo, G., Molloy, J., Bentley, L.J. (2011, April 1) EQUIP: Enhancing Queensborough’s Informatics Program: Implementation of a Pilot Electronic Health Record Program [Abstract] The Suffolk County Community College 2nd Annual Nurse Educator Workshop. (Abstract No. 5 ) Suffolk County Community College, Riverhead, NY.
- Burke, P. (March, 2011). Cultural competency of associate degree nursing faculty. Ph.D. dissertation, Capella University, United States -- Minnesota. Retrieved August 22, 2011, from Dissertations & Theses: Full Text. (Publication No. AAT 3449380).
- Burke, P. (2010) “A simulation case study from an Instructional Design framework.” Teaching & Learning in Nursing, 5(2), 73-77.